[PD] linux/ppc music distro

lee lee at fallingforward.net
Fri Jun 25 01:36:48 CEST 2004

derek holzer wrote:

> If you like challenges, I would say that Gentoo for PPC might be a way
> to go. There are some tricks to getting all the software emerged [and
> I'd be happy to give explicit pointers if that's the way you decide to
> go], but in general almost all the audio applications you would want are
> in the Gentoo Portage system.

I have a dual boot Powerbook G3 with Gentoo PPC and an Emagic EMI 2|6
audio interface. It works...sort of. It's highly unimpressive since ALSA
and JACK applications either run poorly or not at all. I installed OSS
drivers and removed everything related to ALSA and JACK and it's running
fine. Of course this significantly limits it's usefulness. I mostly use
the laptop for streaming ogg vorbis stuff to an Icecast server and when
I need to reclaim the extra CPU cycles that the OS X GUI steals.

I haven't booted into that partition in months though.

-lee