[PD] String editing

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jun 29 11:50:06 CEST 2004

Hallo,
guenter geiger hat gesagt: // guenter geiger wrote:

> This would be one solution, the main problem with including prepend I
> see in the fact that it is working completely differently from the
> builtin append object. This would introduce inconsistency into the system.

But [append] belongs to a whole other family of objects as it deals
with data structures and pointers, something [prepend] can not work
with. A prepend for pointers wouldn't be useful anyways, as the order
of graph objects isn't really known (well, it is known to Pd, but it
would require a lot of work to keep track of the order for a user).

I think, [prepend] would be important as a Max-compatibility object,
and it's also very useful for dealing with lists. I don't believe the
inconsistency would be a real problem.

> The better solution would be to include it into the  external
> collection on CVS (which I am going to do now, if its possible).

This also is a good solution, and I'd be very grateful if you did
this, but it still wouldn't solve the problem that occurs if someone
loads a library which includes another [prepend] like IEMLib. Well, I
already use IEMLib in single externals format after Hans did it that
way in the CVS.

Having prepend built-in would notallow it to be overwritten, would it?
Of course making it built-in would have to be decided by Miller for
the next official version. It would be very wrong to have this
addition in the devel-version only.

Ciao