[PD] Trouble getting alsa audio output

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jul 12 10:56:41 CEST 2004

Hallo,
Tim Blechmann hat gesagt: // Tim Blechmann wrote:

> > I do not have the /dev/dsp, however I have other audio
> > apps such as xmms working properly.  How can I correct
> > this situation?  I was under the impression that
> > /dev/dsp is specific to oss, not alsa?
> >
> > This is with an maudio audiophile 2496 pci card and
> > kernel 2.6.4 with alsa drivers.
> the only suggestion i have for you is not to use any other audio api on
> linux than jack...

Not necessarily. Pd works fine using alsa or alsa's oss emulation.
This has to be set up, though. To activate OSS emulation you need to
load the OSS emu module, which is called "snd-pcm-oss". It's best to
set up automatic loading. How this is done differs a bit from
distribution to distribution, but it is very easy to set up using
"alsaconf". Just run "alsaconf" as root and follow the instructions.

You can then select with audio API to use by starting Pd with:

pd -oss
pd -alsa
pd -jack

Ciao