[PD] display bitmap [errata corr]

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 18 16:08:54 CEST 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Lazzaro N. Ciccolella wrote:

> exists an object that simply can show one single bitmap within a patch
> of PD (like a bgimage, or better, like a pict-button)?
> for display images it is necessary to install a big lib as gem or
> exists a single external?
> pidip...? (apologize, pidip is a big video manipulation library, I
> meant to say gripd instead)
> GrIPD can make those ?

Afaik the only video plugin that allows to embed video in a patch is
GridFlow, and that's a very experimental feature not ready for consumption
(too many bugs... rarely ever works... and then only on Linux). And
GridFlow is a big library, too. Here's a screenshot:

  http://artengine.ca/gridflow/gallery/peephole3.png

For portability I plan to also support displaying into Tk, instead of just
embedding a [@out x11] window inside of a patch. It would be slower but
at least it would work everywhere. That would use the Tk command

  image create photo $name -file $filename

where $name is a Tk symbol of your choice (but watch out for name
canflicts) and $filename is the name of a file in .gif or .ppm or .xbm
format; and it would then use it like

  # as in the IMPD button bar
  button .hello -image $name
or
  # as in a future version of GridFlow
  .$window.c create image $x $y -anchor nw -image $name -tag $tag

which is stuff you can either script in Tcl directly, or access from TOXY.
Consult the Tcl/Tk manuals for more information.