[PD] setable values

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Fri Jul 23 20:01:00 CEST 2004

Miller Puckette wrote:
> Agreed - it's always going to be hard to maintain patches that rely on
> versions of objects that differ from the built-in ones!  However, for
> people who just _have_ to do it, it seems appropriate to provide a way.
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 09:27:35AM -0700, Josh Steiner wrote:
>>but wont this make patches much much less portable?  if you get used to
>>using these flags, in order to tell someone else how to use your patch
>>not only will you have to have a list of which externals you use, but
>>also which individual objects you subsitute out on the command line.
>>chances are it will come up that you wont be able to run patches
>>designed by two different people (who have different substitution flags)
>>at the same time in the same instance of pd.

and, even if two people had exactly same "-rename" substitutions,
they risk running two different "value" externals...

So, I guess, the opposite way in which Max does this, is a bit safer.
There is a mapping file, in which Tim might be willing to put a line:

max objectfile value bettervalue

and call his enhanced version plain [value] in his patches.

Then, anybody having "bettervalue" installed, will be able to
run Tim's patches, provided these are somehow bundled with the
mapping (a maxer would use a "collective").  No way of using Tim's
patches as abstractions, though...

Krzysztof