[PD] Geiger namespaces and possible html doc bug

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Tue Jul 27 13:10:28 CEST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> I read this in the html-docs:
>   If a filename specified in a patch has any "/" characters in it, the
>   "path" is not used; thus, "../sounds/sample1.wav" causes Pd only to
>   look relative to the directory containing the patch. (You may also
>   invoke externs that way.)
>
> I think, the docs are wrong here. When playing around with the Geiger
> namespace, that is, using subdirectories in the Pd-path to prepend
> namespace-like prefixes, I found, that Pd does not only look for
> abstractions and externs only in the patch directory, if those contain
> a slash.

The behaviour (filenames within the patch) depends on how the objects
that use filenames are actually implemented (like soundfiler).
They won't use the path to search for files to read.

It is a bit misleading, especially the last phrase mentioning "externs"
could lead to the conlusion that externs with "/" are not looked for in
the path, which is wrong. It just wants to state that you can load
externs using "/", I think.

Guenter