[PD] gem newbie questions

adam overton aoverton at calarts.edu
Fri Sep 3 03:24:43 CEST 2004

>> let's get started...
>> i'm running Mac OS 10.4, am using PD 0.37-2, and Gem 0.90 for G3.
>
> Are you really running a 10.4 developer seed?  I have it around here
> somewhere but have yet to install and test anything on it.

doh. i meant 10.3.5. i knew it was getting up there, but didn't
remember correctly. i'm definitely not that cool.

>> 2. is there a way to make the Gem output window come to the front and
>> sit on top of the other open pd windows? i can't move the window, and
>> i know that's because you can only control that with the 'position'
>> command to gemwin (will that ever change?? it'd be nice to be able to
>> drag it around...).
>
> Cmd+click the title bar and then drag it around.  There is currently
> work on a version of Pd that allows for the GEM window to be a real
> window.  It does work, but I have no idea when it will surface (I'm
> not the one developing it so don't bug me).

cool cool trick. of course it doesn't work with the border gone, but
that's alright.

>> but if i'm doing a fullscreen thing with gem, then my patch is stuck
>> in front of the image, and i can't close the patch window or else
>> that stops everything and closes the gem window too.
>> so - can i hide the main patch window?
>
> Well you shouldn't do that!  Cmd-w might kill the window, but the
> thing you absolutely have to do is make a key command in your patch
> that triggers a 'destroy' message to the gemwin.

i've just figured out that Cmd-h gets everthing out of the way with no
fuss... which is nice.

>> 4. i get lots and lots of errors when i use pix_image and pix_film
>> with pix_mix (tutorial 8) if the multiple pictures or videos being
>> mixed together are not the exact same dimensions. will this
>> limitation ever be changed, or is there already an easy way around
>> this besides actually going and changing all of my images to the same
>> size?
>
> Use OpenGL to composite if the images are of different sizes.  The CPU
> based pix_ objects restrict dimensions as an optimization - the first
> thing anyone working with video usually does is make all of their
> media the same dimensions to avoid costly scaling.  GL will do all the
> scaling on the GPU at a much faster rate than the CPU could ever hope
> to achieve.

ok

>> 5. i've found that pd won't stop playing sound from my quicktime
>> movies in the pix_film mixing examples (tutorial 8) even when i turn
>> off the individual gemhead and/or 'auto' toggles. if i then 'destroy'
>> the gemwin, the sound finally goes off with it after about a second,
>> but as soon as i 'create' another gemwin the sound from the already
>> stopped videos goes back on right where they left off... is there a
>> way or will there be a way to make these videos and their soundtracks
>> completely stop after starting?
>
> I though I made the sound off by default for those objects, but it
> looks like that code is not actually in CVS.  I must have done a
> custom build for someone and forgot to add it.
>
> cgc

thanks chris!!
adam