[PD] ideal laptop for pd

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Tue Sep 7 07:25:38 CEST 2004

You might look at a desknote. They don't have batteries, but usually
you'll have power around if you're doing audio work. The upside is that
they pack a lot more power for much less money. The one I have came
without a hard drive, CPU, or RAM. The RAM is cheap because it takes
regular fullsize desktop RAM, rather than specialized laptop RAM. Also
the CPU is a desktop CPU which means its faster and cheaper. I've heard
some of the newer ones sport dual optical drives, fancy video cards and
huge LCDs. But they're also very heavy compared to a laptop. Various
companies make desknotes, including ECS and Dell.

I bought my desknote 2.5 years ago for $1k US and it has a 1.75 GHz
processor and can take up to 1 Gig of memory.

-i