[PD] /dev/dspW?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Sep 9 10:02:42 CEST 2004

Hallo,
Phil Thomson hat gesagt: // Phil Thomson wrote:

> Just got Gentoo GNU/Linux (www.gentoo.org) up and running on one of my
> machines. Gentoo has now /dev/dsp, but it does have /dev/dspW, which is an
> alternate dsp device, I'm led to understand. How do I get pd to use this
> instead of /dev/dsp? When I start up pd, I get:
>
> /dev/dsp (read/write): No such file or directory
> (now will try write-only...)
> /dev/dsp (writeonly): No such file or directory
> /dev/dsp (readonly): Now such file or directory
>
> Where do I get pd to use /dev/dspW instead of /dev/dsp?

I would rather try to fix /dev/dsp. Somnething is wrong if you don't
have this device. Are you running the ALSA drivers? If yes, make sure
you have snd-pcm-oss loaded and you did run the snddevices script in
the alsa-driver sources. If you're running the OSS drivers you should
seriously consider to replace them with the ALSA drivers.

Just linking dspW to dsp probably won't solve your problems.

Ciao