[PD] vowels

Bryan Jurish moocow at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Sep 15 20:44:11 CEST 2004

moin Thomas, moin List,

tweaking the vowels is easy (ha!) -- actually recognizing them is
the tricky part, IM(ns)HO ... far as i know, the usual hack for
getting a phonetic transcription out of speech signal input is
a Hidden Markov Model (see Rabiner's tutorial for that).
If you know what's coming (pre-recorded samples), you can
get a vowel shift effect by tweaking the parameters of a
filter-bank -- keyword "vocoder".

<plug type="shameless">
since we're talking about HMMs, here's a new related link to my
current project:

  http://www.ling.uni-potsdam.de/~moocow/projects/gfsm/gfsm-0.0.3.tar.gz
  http://www.ling.uni-potsdam.de/~moocow/projects/pd/pd-gfsm-0.01.tar.gz

this stuff is all very much work in progress, but it aims to
be an abstract C library (with the corresponding Pd bindings)
for finite-state machine operations (HMMs can be represented
as weighted finite-state transducers, and gfsm supports those),
similar in functionality to the absurdly expensive commercial
doodad from at&t.  In fact, the at&t folks use their library
for speech recognition, synthesis, and virtually every known
step in between, if you believe their publications...

more details in Graz ;-)
</plug>

marmosets,
	Bryan

On 15 September 2004 at 19:18:07, Thomas Comiotto appears to have written: