[PD] Fireface

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Sep 21 10:43:36 CEST 2004

jmmmp wrote:
> Reply to a message from August 24:
>
> In the RME website they have the latency tests, which go down until 3ms in
> some pc laptops (IBM, HP and some others). With powerbook it is 1.5ms.
> Is the latency in the other system better? (digiface or MADI-cards)

on MADI we had latencies go down to 4.5ms (if i remember correctly;
probably it was a bit more like 6ms)

i do not think that fireface will really get low latencies with any
dsp-software.
of course you could utilize the "onboard" mixer to have the so-called "0
latency"-features of the card, but then you cannot do any processing of
the data. this is kind of a marketing trick, as people tend to think
that latency means ADC->FirefaceIN->PC->FirefaceOUT->DAC while it really
is ADC->FirefaceIN->FirefaceOUT->DAC.

and then pd's structure imposes the 4.5ms latency, so you will never get
as low as advertised.

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes