[PD] Good programming practice

Tom Schouten doelie at zzz.kotnet.org
Wed Oct 20 11:20:38 CEST 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 11:09:25AM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Tom Schouten hat gesagt: // Tom Schouten wrote:
>
> > this means the structure looks like:
> > (1) very closely connected modules (spaghetti)
> > (2) reasonably interconnect between the modules
>
> Interestingly Memento in RRADical is exactly this: If you look into
> the central patch of it, originator.pd, it's pure spaghetti. Possible
> to understand, but really harder to understand than necessary. However
> the only thing that is interesting with originator is outside of it,
> it's its "interface". This is very clear (I hope) and easy to
> understand.

another example: a C or C++ program

somewhere up the abstraction ladder there is a point where you no longer
have circular dependencies between objects or structures, and your program
moves from a network-like structure to a tree-like one. that's where
you 'got organized' :)

in forth, the spaghetti is the kernel: the way the threaded interpreter
works (the executor: it works basicly with closures), and to some extent
the outer interpreter (which translates symbolic code to threaded code).
the rest is fairly linear.

in fact, you have the same in mathematics:
axioms + logic

the axioms come from pretty much circular non-logic human thought,
and the rest of the structure is built on top of that in a clear
logic straightforward way.