[PD] Hi+NU B ?s-installing libs in OSX from CVS, GEM:QT audio,Bright/contrast

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Thu Oct 28 07:19:49 CEST 2004

On Oct 27, 2004, at 11:18 PM, Bradford Reed wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to your list and to PD and GEM. I am familiar with
> max. PD is so amazing! I'm very happy and having a lot of fun. Thanks
> to all who have contributed and I hope I can add something soon. I'm
> using PD 0.37.2 and gem 0.888-rc2 in OSX on a dual 1.8 G5 and It's
> SMOKIN! I had 6 streams of quicktime videos having all sorts of
> fun. (BTW-I also tried max and jitter demo and for some reason it was
> slower and crashed more... also I learbed a great way to capture gem
> output in OS X  is Snapzpro (a screen grabber that can work with
> video).

I think you are actually using 0.90.  GEM is pretty well tuned for
video processing on G4/G5 machines, which makes a noticeable
difference.

SnapzPro is a really nice screen capture app, and it's good to know
that it will record the output of the gemwin.  I think version 2 is
required for this because I had trouble doing the same with version
1.x.  Snapz will run on a different CPU from GEM so it will be faster
than writing files out using pix_write on dual processor machines.

> -In GEM the audio from my quicktime video clips gets output is there
> any place to grab this audio and/or mute it (besides extracting it
> from my video clips or turning my mac's volume down)?

There was supposed to be a way to turn this off and on, but that code
never made it to the release version.  That omission will be resolved
in a future release, but for now you can use a workaround and change
the volume using QTPro:  Open the movie and hit cmd+j to bring up the
movie properties.  Select the 'Sound Track' listing in the 'Movie' pull
down menu in the top-left of the Properties window, and adjust the
volume under 'Volume' in the right menu.  Save the movie and the sound
should be muted.

I don't know if the QT audio will accessible to the rest of Pd at any
point.

>  -Is there a  way in GEM to adjust brightness and contrast?

pix_offset will change the brightness of a YUV image.  The first value
fed to the right inlet is Y which is the brightness value.  I have
considered an object for doing contrast and saturation for a while as
it's basically just subtracting the center point (127) from the Y U and
V, multiplying by a constant and adding back the offset.  I suppose
situations like this would make an argument for generic unary math
objects or a pix_expr.

cgc