[PD] Re: [PD-dev] Re: prepend w/ set message - ignore

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Nov 10 18:48:43 CET 2004

Hi,

Miller Puckette wrote:
> Aha, so, if we keep "prepend" and "scale" max-compatible, we just need
> better names for the "correctly designed" versions, no?

Yes, this is exactly, what I wanted to say. It basically boils down to
the old question: How Max-compatible do we want or have to be? I would
say, as "prepend" and similar objects are practically used in *every*
Max patch of a certain complexity, we should avoid being incompatible to
those prevalent objects.

> For prepend, at least, we could borrow an idea from Krzysztof and make
> a new "msg" object:
>
> msg prepend
> msg append
> msg car
> msg cdr
> msg any
>
> .. this is assuming nobody has yet written a "msg" object, of course!

Do I hear a namespace whispering? ;) Actually this is a nice solution in
the list handling case, as we then would have just one object for all
list operations. I think, I like this. (I don't know, if there already
is a "msg".)

Ciao
--
Frank Barknecht