[PD] displaying text in a patch

Federico xaero at inwind.it
Sun Jan 2 20:21:17 CET 2005

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 10:13:32 -0500 (EST)
Mathieu Bouchard <matju at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> > but i don't know how to display a string coming from a [msg( object.
> > the only way i know is to connect the [object( to a [print] object,
> > but this print the string on the console.
>
> The [display] object does like [print] but inside of a patch. However
> this was coded this morning, so you'd have to use the CVS of GridFlow
> (see http://gridflow.ca/) and compile it yourself (on Linux and OSX).
>
> Ironically, I have just posted a screenshot showing what [display] can
> do. Actually I only gave examples for float/symbol/grid, but you can
> really make it print any message. It will insert a colon between the
> selector and the $1, such that:

i just saw your message, as soon as i posted mine :)

in that while i discovered now the [set xxx( method for the message
object, that can change (dinamically) the value of a message object, and
the problem of display a string is now solved.

however, looking at your object, i tought it can be very useful if it
allows you to *enter* data.
think to an editable 2d grid, or better, think to a tracker (do you
remember that old sequencers that were used for composing C64 & Amiga
tunes?).

the paradigm to read/write data to this object should be like the
table/tabread/tabwrite objects:
you supply X,Y,VALUE to write, and X,Y to read (the triggers should be
respectively in VALUE for writing, and Y for reading)

tell me if you think something good of my idea :)
best regards,
--
Federico