[PD] pd pushing cpu on fast laptop, while running clean on slower machine

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Fri Jan 7 09:28:14 CET 2005

> Using a section of several [vibraphone~] objects from the
> percolate-lib, PD eats all my cpu, pushing it above 90%, and
> destroying sound.  The machine is a Dell 5150, with 2.8GHz cpu.
my first thought would be that it's a denormal issue ...

you could try to recompile percolate with -mfpmath=sse -msse in your
cflags.
and try to use the devel_ branch of pd, since it switches on the sse2
flag for treating denormals as zero (by hardware) ...

second, you can try to profile your patch to figure out, what is eating
your cpu ... (switch~ of the vibraphone~s)

third, look at the percolate code and try to fix it ;-)

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk