[PD] pd pushing cpu on fast laptop, while running clean on slower machine

Derek Holzer derek at x-i.net
Fri Jan 7 18:25:52 CET 2005

Quoting andersvi at extern.uio.no:

> Maybe its useful to mention the cpu-types.  The fast one - 2.8GHz
> giving sluggish performance - is a Pentium 4.  The "slow" one
> running at ~1.4GHz is an Athlon.

Yes, this is almost certainly a denormal problem. P4s are terrible for that. Tim
B and I went around and around a few times on this issue. He gave some fantastic
advice, the gist of which is that you have to recompile PD and *all* externals
with some denormal-busting flags. Check the list for "denormal" and my and
Tim's names, and you'll find the conversation. Incidentally, I never did get my
thing fixed. My P4 was too early to support these flags. But yours is probably a
lot newer, so there's hope.

good luck,
d.