[PD] displaying text in a patch

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 8 15:13:14 CET 2005

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, Federico wrote:
> in that while i discovered now the [set xxx( method for the message
> object, that can change (dinamically) the value of a message object, and
> the problem of display a string is now solved.

Oh, yes. [prepend] together with an empty message box is a quite good
emulation of jMax's [display]. However I wished for something more
self-contained and extensible.

> think to an editable 2d grid, or better, think to a tracker (do you
> remember that old sequencers that were used for composing C64 & Amiga
> tunes?).

A Grid Editor is next after the code of [display] is fully debugged. It's
been on my TODO since early 2001 (!!!) but I didn't nearly have the means
to create it nearly as easily as now.

> the paradigm to read/write data to this object should be like the
> table/tabread/tabwrite objects: you supply X,Y,VALUE to write, and X,Y
> to read (the triggers should be respectively in VALUE for writing, and
> Y for reading)

For that, GridFlow has [#store], which supports 0-D, 1-D, 2-D, 3-D, 4-D,
etc., grids of data. It also has a bunch of other features. Possibly that
the grid editor I'll write ([#edit]) will be built around [#store].