[PD] Re: [PD-announce] volctl~ update

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Sat Jan 8 10:01:24 CET 2005

> I definitely appreciate your working on these optimizations, but I am
> wondering whether these optimizations could be applied directly to
> [*~]  and [line~] so that they would be more broadly applied.  Also, I
> like  the idea of an object like [volctl~], but as part of my pd~conf
> realization, I think things should definitely be implemented within Pd
> itself as much as possible.
well, a part of the optimizing could be done directly on |line~| ...
implementing simd optimized slopes ...

for the |*~| part, volctl~ uses the features of both |*~| and |*~ 0|,
the first doing a vector-vector multiplication, the second one a
vector-scalar multiplication. for the time of constant volume, line~
would output a constant number stream and |*~| would do a vector-vector
multiplication for something that could be done as vector-scalar
multiplication...

to have the same behaviour with |*~| and |line~| one would have to
rewrite the pd dsp tree adding (the flag for constant messages) and
adapt all arithmetic tilde functions...
could be possible, but i think more a task for weeks than for hours...

i really don't like to write externals for trivial things, but i also
don't want to use my cpu to computing something that isn't necessary
(the higher my cpu load, the louder the fan of my shitty laptop)...

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk