[PD] C++ for pd (was: mp3 playing external)

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Fri Feb 4 12:04:32 CET 2005

Hi,
i think the main problem flext and readanysf~ might be the latter's
dependance on a large number of external libraries, although i don't
know which kind of clash that could cause. Naturally, i use flext for
nearly everything and i have had no real problem compiling it in the
last couple of months. I also think that the new build system should be
easy to use but it may not be fit for the complex building involved
with readanysf~.
The last time i tried to build readanysf~ for Windows i had the
impression that the problems are not caused by flext, but i didn't
really understand the code - that's why i chose to write my own
flext-based soundfile player (although i doesn't decode MP3, because i
don't use crippled sound)
It's true that flext has changed a bit in the last time, but not the
API, just the naming of the libraries, so that it's uniform across
several platforms. I think that should be trivial to adapt. The API
itself hasn't changed for the last two years or so. It seems to be at
least as stable as the pd API.

best greetings,
Thomas