[PD] Parallel Printer Port External?

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Sat Feb 5 16:47:14 CET 2005

Le 5 Février 2005 06:36, martin pichlmair a écrit :
> > Has anyone written anything similar to comport for the parallel
> > printer ports?  Can anyone point me in the right direction for writing
> > an external that would be able to send and receive data from the
> > parallel ports?
>
> apart from reading and writing to the parallel port it would be
> interesting to simply set pins of ports. i recently nearly would have
> needed it for triggering electronics without using a microcontroller. a
> library can be found here:
>
> http://parapin.sourceforge.net/doc/parapin.html
>
> wrapping it up in an external should be fairly straight-forward. in the
> document above are links to parallel port faqs that might help you
> learning more about this port.
>
> the problem is: less and less computers feature a parport as printers
> are connected via usb or ethernet/wlan. better code fast!

I made an external for the parapin library, in 2003:
http://puredata.info/Members/odradek/parapin/
It works very well, and it's still being used for a stupid tv game show.
It requires root permissions (I use sudo). I build it using flext, but the
archive comes with a compiled external that runs on new systems (I just
tried). Have fun!
--
Marc