[PD] tabread4~ vs. vd~

Brendan Asselstine bstine at telus.net
Sun Feb 6 20:46:57 CET 2005

seems like the most efficient way would be to insert a pitch shifter
after the granulation, and control the shift with automation (like
reading through an array with values for each grain).

for the granulation a method I tried once was to have a bunch of delay
loops of the same length.  they each took an audio signal in, and a
control in(at audio rate).  if the control signal was 1, they recorded
the incoming signal and stopped feeding back (to clear the delwrite~),
if the control signal was 0, they had full feedback so looped forever.

to break up the audio between them have a square wave with the timbre
compressed so that the '1' section is 1/16 the period (or at least the
length of each delay line).  now if you hook it up to each grain's
control inlet and put it out of phase for each  (0, 1/16, 2/16,
3/16....) then chunks of the signal will be written into each delwrite~
until it writes again.  then all you need is a method to listen to each
delay line.

it's not as flexible as creating each grain~ object because you have to
setup the square wave, but I tried a smaller version (4) and it worked.
The patch is long gone but I'm pretty sure this is how it worked.

-brendan