[PD] live input processing patch

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Tue Feb 8 04:17:19 CET 2005

You might be interested in my "Suite" patch at
http://www.0x09.com/code/pd.shtml . Its main feature is a GOP patch for
multi-delay lines, which started as a project for a guitarist friend who
I wanted to save from buying an expensive and poorly-featured hardware
delay box. You can either just use the delay line patch
(sample_catcher.pd) or the whole thing, or whatever. If you have any
questions I'd be glad to answer them.

I'm working on a new version that should be much swanker: dynamic(ish)
buffer sizes, fftease, etc. Hopefully it'll be done this week or next,
and I'd love to have someone using it that could bounce me ideas and
criticisms. Particlechamber integration is a good idea.

let me know what you think, and don't hesitate to ask stupid questions.

-Ian

P.S. the fonts may be unreadable at first. They're just right on one
computer, and either too big or too small on the other. I'd recommend an
emacs regexp to just replace all the font sizes with something more
readable.

marcus estes wrote:
> I've been approached by an acoustic instrumentalist to develop a PD patch
> designed to process live input from a microphone. It's not my intention to
> wholly reconstruct the timbre of his instruments; I'm probably more
> interested in time-domain modulation than frequency.
>
> That said, does anyone have any broad suggestions for an interesting
> approach to this
> project? I'm not very fluent in PD's FFT capabilities, so I'm probably
> limited in that aspect by reusing patches from the docs. At the moment, I'm
> more inclined to think along the lines of a multi-lined delay system, with
> certain time-windows held for looping and slight modulation.
>
> I'm a big fan of the Keith Fullerton Whitman album "Playthroughs," and I
> understand that most of the album was produced by processing guitar sounds
> through Max/MSP patch. I wish that contemporary electronic musicians were
> more willing to publish their patches openly; I'd love to see what he used
> to create those sounds.
>
> I'm also a big fan of Derek Holzer's Particle Chamber patch. By increasing
> the sample playback length to a few seconds, the sounds retain their timbre
> just enough, while the jittery, polyphonic playback creates a very
> interesting reinterpretation of the source material.
>
> I have considered re-tooling the Particle Chamber for use with a live input,
> but that seems a bit tricky. Has anyone else tried such a feat? In general,
> I'd be interested to hear other's ideas and experiences with live input
> patches. If you've already done some work with this, please post your
> patches! I promise not to rip you off too blatantly, or if I do, proper
> accreditation will be given to the living-room-sized audience I have in mind
> for the piece.
>
> Thanks!
> Marcus

Ian Smith-Heisters