[PD] live input processing patch

Sean Costello seancostello2003 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 8 05:00:49 CET 2005

Hi:

There is a good interview with Whitman on

http://disquiet.com/hrvatski.html

To get a similar sound, you may want to feed the input into fiddle~, use the
frequency output to drive osc~ (a sine oscillator), and use the amplitude of
that freq component to multiply the output of osc~. Then, run this into four
delread~/delwrite~ pairs, each set for approximately (but not quite) the
same delay time, and feedback for each delread~/delwrite~ pair (see the
example delay.loop.pd, but have 4 of these in parallel). Then granulate
this, ring modulate, spectral processing, what have you. Run everything
through a reverb at the end, to smooth things out and mix everything
together.

Whitman uses fiddle~, so that seems like a good start. The spectral
processing stuff might use the FFTease stuff from Christopher Penrose
(MAX/MPS only), but you could probably do interesting stuff with the FFT
ugens in Pd.

Sean Costello