[PD] live input processing patch

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Tue Feb 8 18:11:04 CET 2005

Hi Marcus,

marcus estes wrote:

> I'm a big fan of the Keith Fullerton Whitman album "Playthroughs,"

Me too! I got a similar effect by using a harmonic series of resonant
comb filters triggered by contact mike input. The mikes are attached to
various bits and bobs I found in the Amazon... shells, plants, bones and
other unidentifiable stuff that produce nice sounds when plucked,
scraped or bowed. The comb filters are run through a granulating
feedback delay that makes "clusters" of particles similar to what you
hear on "Playthroughs" or "21:30 for Acoustic Guitar". Three or four
delays set at irregular intervals [i.e. 3/4, 7/5, 5/9, etc] add further
texture.

> I'm also a big fan of Derek Holzer's Particle Chamber patch.

Thanks! ;-)

> I have considered re-tooling the Particle Chamber for use with a live input,
> but that seems a bit tricky.

It's not too hard, really. Particle Chamber reads from static tables,
grabbing sections of loaded soundfiles and playing them back. I've built
a few adaptations for myself of this idea using delay lines instead of
tables, and they perform on input audio in the same way. I just haven't
cleaned them up for release yet. But if you compared the "guts" of each
patch, you would find them almost identical except for the source of the
sound. The mechanics remain pretty much the same. Play around with that
for a while, and I promise to clean up my own version sometime in March
for public release.

best,
derek

--