[PD] arrays not redrawing

ix at replic.net ix at replic.net
Sat Feb 12 21:18:24 CET 2005

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:45:51PM -0600, chris clepper wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2005, at 1:20 PM, ix at replic.net wrote:
> > writing to a 512-pix spectrogram and/or updating a number of numboxes
> >every 64 samples.
>
> Is there any reason why you are trying to draw ~750 times a second?
> Not only is Pd's graphic system woefully inadequate for doing that, but
> it's also many, many times the display's refresh rate.  You are doing
> 10x the work for 0 gain by trying to draw like that.  If anything, Pd's
> drawing should be hard throttled to about 20ms updates with no way to
> preempt it.

well the spectrogram only updates 44100/512 times a second, and looks cool and generates 5% cpu load on winXP...so why not? i'd hve to have enforced throttling ((isnt that pretty antithetical)). but it seems there may be some throttling in place? for example loading wavs into my BLT wav editor takes FOREVER on windows...but on linux its quite fast...