[PD] route outputs lists instead of floats

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Feb 14 15:17:19 CET 2005

Hallo,
Tim Blechmann hat gesagt: // Tim Blechmann wrote:

> > route outputs a list with one argument instead of outputting a float.
> > this is then a problem, when you try to connect a [route] to the right
> > inlet of an audio-obj like [+~]. doing this will cause the error
> > 'inlet: expected 'signal' but got 'float' '. this can easily be solved
> > by inserting a [f  ] before the audio-obj. but is this behaviour of
> > route intended?
>
> well, seems that the list to float conversion isn't really working when
> converting messages to signals ...

Or you could see it another way around: Converting floats to signals
is done automaticallyi and working just fine. Converting 1-element
lists of only one float to a float is also working fine. Converting
1-element lists to signals however is not done automatically. In any
case, this definitely is not a problem of [route].

Automatic conversion to my knowledge is only defined for a 1-element
list containing a float, which is silently the same as a float, if a
float is called for. The example patch however uses [*~] which is
intended to multiply two signals. To multiply a signal with a float,
an argument to [*~] should be used, like [*~ 0] or similar. If you
change the patch to be like that, the error goes away.

(The issue is different for the first inlet of objects btw. [list
440(---[osc~] works fine, even [list 440 10 92 38 stuff(--[osc~]
works.)

Ciao

             _ __latest track: fqdn _ http://footils.org/cms/show/38