[PD] jack problem pd-0.38

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Thu Feb 17 09:29:11 CET 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Georg Holzmann wrote:
> working z.b., but the input sound is totally destorted ...
>
> if I start jack with 4 in/out:
> apparent rate = 44100
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|4|4|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> control device hw:0
> configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> ALSA: cannot set channel count to 4 for capture
> ALSA: cannot configure capture channel
> cannot load driver module alsa
> 19:06:31.001 JACK was stopped successfully.
> 19:06:33.000 Could not connect to JACK server as client.
> (I have also tried differenty channels, periods, buffer-size, etc.)

This is a problem with your soundcard. Make sure your soundcard has
4 channel in and out (and that ALSA supports it). It seems that it hasn't.
(ALSA: cannot set channel count to 4 for capture)

> in PD only:
> /dev/dsp (writeonly): Device or resource busy
> /dev/dsp (readonly): Device or resource busy

You have to tell PD to use jack like this:
pd -jack
Or set it in the media menu.
If the flag doesn't exist or the Media Menu doesn't have a Jack entry
then pd is not compiled for JACK --> you have to recompile or install
the Debian package, which works out of the box.

Guenter