[PD] audio convolution filters

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Fri Feb 18 03:55:01 CET 2005

pix wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 05:37:29PM -0500, Ian Smith-Heisters wrote:
>
>>I've been playing with image convolution filters, and wanted to take a
>>look at the same ideas in audio. I was wondering if someone could
>>point
>

> i think the closest audio approximation to image style convolution (eg,
> where you apply a kernel to get effects like edge detection) is an FIR
> filter. it's covered by the same theory (edge detection for example is a
> highpass filter) only applied in one dimension instead of two.

Yes, that's it.

I actually, by coincidence, found an example patch on the CVS
"fft_convolution" that does exactly what the patch I posted earlier
does, minus a mistake or two. It's copyrighted 'GG' (Guenter Geiger?).
It seems to have the same problem of being very staticky as my patch.
Does any one know what causes this? Is there a way to remove it? ([lop~]
had little success and muffled things a lot)

Thanks for the pointers and the book and link, Frank.

-Ian

> pix.

Ian Smith-Heisters
http://www.0x09.com