[PD] pdp_reg image dimensions

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Fri Feb 18 04:47:32 CET 2005

On Feb 17, 2005, at 9:58 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, derek holzer wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to load a png image to pdp_reg, but I am getting the
>> following error:
>> WARNING: request to create image packet with illegal dimensions 533 x
>> 400
>> What are the proper dimensions for using this object? It is not
>> documented anywhere AFAIK.
>
> GEM and PDP have some restrictions on widths of pictures. It has to be
> multiple of some number; i think it's 2 or 4 or 8. It may depend on
> colormodel too, as the point is to prevent unaligned (slow)
> computations
> from happening, which depends on the number of bytes per row.

...don't spread FUD!  GEM doesn't care about image dimensions, they are
just passed on to the card as textures...perhaps you are conflating the
difference between GL_TEXTURE_2D textures (which do need to be a power
of two in each dimension, but any size can be converted to that) and
GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE textures, which allow for any size texture without
requesting the extra memory?

...don't know about pdp, but I'd try it with even dimensions...?

l8r,
jamie