[PD] pdp_reg image dimensions

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Fri Feb 18 05:21:22 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, james tittle wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2005, at 9:58 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > GEM and PDP have some restrictions on widths of pictures. It has to be
> ...don't spread FUD!  GEM doesn't care about image dimensions, they are
> just passed on to the card as textures...perhaps you are conflating the
> difference between GL_TEXTURE_2D textures (which do need to be a power
> of two in each dimension,

WOOPS again! not at all, i'm probably confusing it with PDP or with
something else! I recall also another plugin called VDSP (later
Pixonix) that had high restrictions on widths, but it never got ported
from jMax to Pd...

I was certainly not thinking about power-of-two sizes: i was talking about
(integer) multiples of certain small powers-of-two, only for alignment
issues.

> ...don't know about pdp, but I'd try it with even dimensions...?

Systems that use YUV422 and other macropixel schemes tend to either refuse
odd dimensions or pad them automatically because fractional pixels are
troublesome. (However YUV444 is not a macropixel system so basically it
behaves much more like regular RGB).

What does GEM do with odd-width YUV422 pixes ?