[PD] Scanned Synthesis

cyrille cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Wed Feb 23 13:56:57 CET 2005

hello,

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> cyrille hat gesagt: // cyrille wrote:
>

>>i do belive that scan synthesys is more than video->audio or audio->video.
>>
>>i really belive that "algorythm" -> (audio & video) is more powerfull
>>(from artistic point of view) than video->audio or audio->video.
>>
>>scann synthesys is only a simple exemple of my point of view.
>

> The "problem" with the pdp_scan is, that it is hard to control in a
> directly musical way, IMO.
well, its a commun problem i think with video analyse tools -> audio
synthesis . IMHO

> Admittedly it's not the kind of "scanned
> synthesis" as in Csound. However it is quite interesting to directly
> hear the results of image operations like blur, which results in filtering
> etc. If you saw Tom perform in Graz: His patch used this kind of idea
> (IIR).
>
> Unfortunatly I don't know very much about the "Csound" scanned
> synthesis, which can create very nice sounds.
i did not konw that csound have a scanned synthesys tool.
i googled,
http://www.csounds.com/scanned/toot/
it is very symilar to pmpd.

> It would be cool to have
> something like this in Pd, but it should be realtime. Your pmpd example
> patch which fills a table from a model unfortunatly takes ages to fill
> it on my machine, so this approach seems to be only valid it you can
> prerender sound (in which case, maybe Taosynth could be more useful).

i agree that the non real time audio synthesys exemple is not very usefull.
with the cvs version, you can do the same thing in real time!
(well, the cvs version is only for test, i think somes stuff will change
in the future)

but that is not scanned synthesis.

scanned synthesis nead low frequency physical model (20Hz about), and
use the shape of the model as an audio waveforme.
so the audio waveforme change every 50ms. this mean that it does not
nead lot's of cpu for the physical model...

attachement is a scanned synth patch i use live...
(sorry for the mess)
you need gem to use it..

cyrille