[PD] poll: common problems when sharing performance patches

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Sun Feb 27 00:02:06 CET 2005

The other thing I find handy is to clearly mark sends and receives with
a 1x20 red canvas on their left edge, and keep them no more than 1 or
two subpatch levels down. I think my usual structure, since I'm doing
lots of GOP is something like this:

TOP: Controls, no patchcords, all send/receives prefixed with
$0-s_ctrl_/$0-r_ctrl_ respectively. Top level contains only in/outlets,
GUI controls, and a subpatch called [pd guts]

PD_GUTS: lots of subpatches going to different modules of the
abstraction. If it's a very simple abstraction, the workings go here.
Try to avoid sending/receiving between patches here: use cords instead.

WORKINGS: In subpatches in guts. Here's where the controls from TOP are
caught and put into action. No sends or receives deeper than this.

I'm not sure that makes any sense. If it doesn't, LMK and I'll post an
example.

Cheers,
Ian