[PD] question about video playback, Framestein

David Merrill dmerrill at media.mit.edu
Mon Feb 28 16:32:42 CET 2005

Hello pd-folks,
I have a general question about video playback, and a specific one about
Framestein that I would greatly appreciate your expertise on:

video playback: what's the best way to do this? (if I have a .avi, or
some other format that I want to play fullscreen, and advance frames in
response to other PD events) I read a little about GEM and it seems very
good for 3D rendering, but it was not clear to me if it can be used for
video - so Framestein seemed like the obvious choice. Am I correct in this?

Framestein: I've got it installed, and am trying to get to a "hello
world" using the 01.example-video patch. Framestein seems to start ok,
then after I drag an .avi into the window, I try to scrub it with the
horizontal slider. Almost nothing happens with the video, and I get a
series of messages from pd saying: "netsend blocked X msec" where X is
an integer like 6,5,98,etc.. I also tried changing the endpoints on the
slider to no avail.

I am using pd.37-1 and Framestein 0.32

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
-David Merrill