[PD] more |vcf~| things

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Wed Mar 9 12:46:19 CET 2005

hi

i would have done it like you did, i don't know any better mehtod yet.
maybe one little thing came up, when i tested [vcf~] with your patch.
afaik, it makes more sense to use a pink noise instead of [noise~],
which produces white noise. the difference is, that in pink noise the
amount of energy is constant per octave (logarithmic), where in white
noise it is constant per frequency bandwith (<-may not the correct
expression, i mean linear: 100-200Hz has the same energy as
10100-10200Hz). afaik, the q-factor of [vcf~] refers to the logarithmic
scale, as our ears do. this (at least partly) explains why you get such
low q-values in the high regions to keep the level constant. i'm not
quite sure, but i think, another reason could be, that filters tend to
get an unlinear behaviour somehow, the closer the cutoff-freq gets to
the nyquist-frequency. you will get different results, when you change
the fs.
this probably makes it difficult to calculate in detail the behaviour of
[vcf~]. maybe someone else has a more 'academic' explanation for that
behaviour.
by the way: if anybody knows an external for producing pink noise,
please let me know.

cheers
roman