[PD] video tracking how advanced?

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Sun Mar 13 23:28:08 CET 2005

Once you've installed PiDiP a dozen times or so it becomes
straightforward. Let me see if I can summarize my procedure:

1) Get source for PiDiP from Yves' site. The CVS is usually out of date.
2) Get ffmpeg source FROM YVES' SITE. Note you can don't need to install
this source, you just need it to compile PiDiP.
3) Untar PiDiP and ffmpeg.
4) Configuration is tricky. You need to set --with-pd, --with-pdp and
--with-ffmpeg to the directory where the base directories of their
respective sources are. For me this is

PD_DIR = /home/ian/src/pure-data/pd
PDP_DIR = /home/ian/src/pure-data/externals/pdp
FFMPEG_SOURCE_DIR = /home/ian/src/pure-data/ffmpeg-cvs-2003-03-04

while pd is actually installed in /home/ian/pd.

5) make && make install.
6) cp pidip.pd_linux /path/to/pd/externs/ (make install doesn't do this)
7) edit ~/.pdrc

Again, I think the only thing PiDiP lacks in comparison to EW is the
high-level functions, but all the pieces are there to build them. With
some clever bg-subtraction, masking, convolution, blob trackers, and
averaging you could find the centroids. Then it's just a question of
building some system for recognizing the postures, perhaps with ANN.

The EW developers might be responsive to at least giving tips/ pointing
toward resources on how to do this. I guess it just depends how much
time you have ;)

-Ian

--
http://www.0x09.com