[PD] usb/dmx (again)

Max Neupert abonnements at revolwear.com
Fri Mar 18 23:57:04 CET 2005

Am 18.03.2005 um 20:13 schrieb Olaf Matthes:
> nicob wrote:
>> hi
>> here's the news from enttec:
>>  DMX USB Pro Interface
>> Features:
>>     •     Micro processor enabled
>>     •      1500 V isolation (protect your computer from surges)
>>     •      1 Input & 1 Output connector (there is only one DMX port
>> though)
>>     •      Fully compatible with RDM
>>     •     Internal frame buffering (will work on any PC)
>>     •      Will talk at any comm's speed, so it will be completely
>> compatible with any system for which the FTDI chip has drivers
>> (Windows, OSX, Linux..)
>>     •      Universe & user config EEPROM
>>     •      simple API to: update DMX buffers, read incoming DMX,
>> configure refresh rates ...
>> http://www.enttec.com/dmxusb_pro.php
>> so olaf, can you do something for us  as osx will be ok with this
>> interface...
>
> I don't see the need to buy the new interface (since the old one works
> for me on _my_ Mac), but if you send me a test item I'd be happy to
> help. ;-)
>
> I find the price too high, since a similar thing (on PC, not Mac) is
> available for free using the Parallel port (see
> http://manolator.place.cc/). In combination with a USB-parallel
> convertor you'd get nearly the same, although this might not work in
> Mac. From what I read in the Enttec mailing list this new thig seems
> to use a USB-parallel convertor chip as well
> (http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/FT245BM.htm)...

a lightning technician told me last week that dmx will fade anytime
soon anyway, the new standard seems to be artnet, a ethernet kind of
light control.

although it says in this document that artnet will NOT replace DMX:
http://www.artisticlicence.com/app%20notes/appnote013.pdf

would't it be much easier to output ArtNet though the ethernet port
directly instead of using those USB to DMX controllers?

max