[PD] Strange problem with vline~

Carlos Pita carlosjosepita at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Apr 21 21:13:05 CEST 2005

> > [ bang ( ------[ 0 0 0, 1 15 0 (
> >    |              |
> >    |           [ vline~ ]
> >    |              |
> >    ------------[ tabwrite~ t ]
>
> If you connect a bang to several objects, you can't really know in which order
> these objects will receive the bang

But note that the [vline~]=>[tabwrite~]
connection is an audio one. First a control phase will take
place which will send the [0,0,0( and [1 15 0( messages
to vline~ and the [bang( message to [tabwrite~].
The order is irrelevant cause [tabwrite~]
will start writing in the following audio phase "at the
same time" that vline~ starts outputing the line segment.
So there is no need to trigger the messages in a
fixed order, it's enough that control happens before
audio.

> what do you mean by block size ? the pd software block size (default 64, resized
> by block~ or switch~) or the sound card I/O buffer size ?

Resized by [switch~].

> writing accurately _very_ short portions of signal is often quite difficult in pd;

That's the point for using [vline~] instead of [line~],
accurate sync.

After a more detailed testing it seems as if
[vline~] only plays nice with the default
block size of 64. Perhaps it should be
listed among objects that have problems
with reblocking.

Thx