[PD] no licensing, no money?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed May 18 18:19:30 CEST 2005

On May 18, 2005, at 6:52 AM, Tim Blechmann wrote:

>> I think the idea of Christian to form a non profit organization
>> that receives the money is a good one. The money then would be spend
>> for meetings like the pd-dev meeting, workshops, etc.
>> The meetings get organized by the developers community.
> i'm a bit afraid of the overhead of managing a non profit organization
> ... i mean the pd community is not as big as for example the firefox or
> the openoffice community ...

I agree. Also, a Verein might be useful in Germany/Austria, but does it
apply to the EU?  I think it has little meaning in the U.S. and Canada.
  How about Brazil, Egypt, Malaysia, Bulgaria, Japan?  Setting up an
international NGO would be a ton of legal work, and not very productive
at this stage, I think.

But before we get sidetracked about all sorts of ideas about how to
manage the money, there is one issue that must get resolved before
anything else: how we make decisions as a group.  We can discuss ideas
all day, but if we don't have a system for making decisions, then all
those ideas will remain just that: ideas.

There are a few ideas out there for how to do this: Debian-style
developer elections, core developer consensus.  I believe that the
GNOME Bounties works on a developer consensus model: the developers who
work on a given part of GNOME agree on the decisions.  With Debian,
Developers vote on resolutions and the Project Leader.

I think that the Debian developer elections would work best for the Pd
community.

.hc

>> The bounty systems doesn't convince me.
> well, maybe not call it bounty hunt but market place, where people
> could
> post their feature requests. once a request is assigned to a developer
> no one else is supposed to work on this ...
>
> this would definitely be easier to maintain ...
>
> cheers ... tim
>
> --
> mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
> http://www.mokabar.tk
>
> latest mp3: kMW.mp3
> http://mattin.org/mp3.html
>
> latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
> http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/
>
> After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space
> would say "I want to see the manager."
> 				      William S. Burroughs

____

"Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a more
direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice, it
can change entire economies."

     - Amy Smith