[PD] no licensing, no money?

David Powers cyborgk at nocturnalnoize.com
Wed May 18 21:36:28 CEST 2005

Hello,

I think there is a definite distinction between PD user and developer.
In fact, I would love to be a developer but I don't think I have the
knowledge I would need (though I do know some python and C++).  For now
I am a mere user.  Let me explain why I see a distinction between
developer and user (though I agree, developers are also users).

Honestly, as a new PD user, I'm a little disappointed at this list - and
please don't take this the wrong way.  I know the hardcore PD people are
doing awesome work creating tools for the PD community.  The problem is
that I have NO IDEA what people are talking about 90% of the time on
this list.  I was hoping to gain much more practical knowledge on how to
use PD.  Instead, here I feel very intimidated by the high level of
technical expertise.

I think it would be good if, along with developing new features and
externals, some community members would devote more time to explaining
more general information on possible ways to use PD, approaches to
building patches, and descriptions of live performance patches.  A great
example of what I am talking about is the "Building Drums in PD"
tutorial by Frank Barknecht available here:
http://footils.org/tut/pddrums/pddrums.html .  There is a really strong
need for this type of tutorial!  Also, I know people are doing
workshops, it would also be helpful if people would post more of the
information given at these workshops online.  Finally, many of the
externals seem almost undocumented.  Sometimes ordinary "users" are
going to need a lot more explanation/documentation of things -
documentation that may seem redundant to the developers, because it is
easy to forget that many of us have never worked with anything like this
in our lives, and are learning computers also as we go.

Remember, all such documentation is going to make it easier for people
to learn PD, which will then result in a bigger and stronger community.
As a new user, I'd love to contribute, but the technical aspect of what
people discuss on this list seems way beyond me.  However, if anyone
knows ways even a newer user can help, let me know!

~David Powers