[PD] RE: audio click and windows firewall

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Sat May 28 18:44:22 CEST 2005

hi all,

having a firewall will affect the pd/gui communication as long as a
network socket is used. having a network socket will be a low latency
issue unless the network communication is done in a separate thread ...

> the best advice here is though. Perhaps drop the
> buffer size on the audio card down and then reduce
> latency to just longer than the buffer size?  A 1028
> sample buffer is equivalent to just under 24 ms
> (44.1).  I run at about 20 ms latency with 512 sample
> buffer (44.1) just to be safe.  I suppose I could get
> the latency down smaller say 10 ms by using a 256
> sample buffer but I haven't tried that yet.
the current implementation of pablio (that's used for asio / coreaudio)
is really bad ... i haven't been able to run safely below 25 ms of
latency ...
in devel, there is an implementation of a callback-driven scheduler,
that directly talks to portaudio without using pablio, giving MUCH
better latencies ...

if you need lowest latencies, i'd suggest, you try devel :-)

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

latest mp3: kMW.mp3
http://mattin.org/mp3.html

latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/

would say "I want to see the manager."
				      William S. Burroughs