[PD] [hid] 0.6 released

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jun 13 05:50:40 CEST 2005

On Jun 12, 2005, at 2:51 PM, Peter Plessas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> don't know if this has been discussed already (found nothing in the
> archives), but the devices of /dev/input/eventN are always set to
> root:root (owner:group), so for using it i have to change it manually
> every time to f.e. root:audio to access it.
> I think one could create a symlink whose permissions are permanent,
> but [hid] seems to be hard-coded to /dev/input/eventN.

Or you could add yourself to the "root" group.  The permissions of the
symlink will not replace the permissions of the actual device,
otherwise this would be a massive security hole, e.g. if you can't
access a file, just symlink to it with permissions that you want.

> Any ideas?
> Perhaps a way to tell [hid] which file in the /dev tree to use?

The evdev module which drives the input events is also hard-coded to
/dev/input/eventX and the [hid] object only talks to those device
types, not jsX, mouseX, etc. devices.  So it doesn't make a lot of
sense to me to have a run-time option to change this. You can always
change the device path in the source code and recompile it, you'd have
to do the same with the evdev module.

____

it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the
possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of
it."

   - Thomas Jefferson