[PD] [half OT] laptop processors for rt sound (32/64)

julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net
Tue Jun 14 19:55:00 CEST 2005

Hi Sven,

Selon sven <ml.sven at subscience.de>:

> I have a centrino and in comparison to desktop p4's it's much faster at the
>
> same clockspeed.
> It's said that a 1.7GHz Pentium M (dothan) is faster than a 3.0GHz P4.

http://www.tecchannel.de/imgserver/bdb/341800/341851/C2E2D1F2D6C75DD830F7D60AF88
78452_1000x700.jpg

it's ok because I currently have a 3-year old 2.4 GHz P4 desktop and no cpu
problem :)

> i've never noticed any denormal problems.

cool

> the only processors which are a little faster than the PM2.0Ghz are the P4
> 3.8Gz
> and the the Athlon 4000+. This small advantage of additional speed is
> outweighted
> by the fact that these cpu are electricity-hungry 100watts monsters.

moreover, it looks like 64 bit is not always the best choice today, and the
mobile version of the P4 doesn't look good for audio processing (see the
discussions about the denormal problem in the pd mailing list, for example)

> semprons suck as much as celerons.

ok, so I was wrong and the AMD equivalent to the pentium M is the Turion, but
it's a 64 bit processor, and it looks wiser to setup a 32 bit system currently,
especially because I will use it with both linux and windows for audio.

> The advantages of the Pentium M's relating wattage and thus battery running
> time and noise
> are huge. it's so pleasant working on a silent computer, ahhhh... i love
> it.
> everytime i have to work on a normal-loud desktop/laptop i'm wondering how
> i could stand that noise
> over the years.

well, I have a shuttle desktop and it's ok :) but a M/Turion laptop is better
for this of course

thanks for your information,
-j