[PD] recommended video codec

etienne deleflie et at lalila.net
Wed Jun 22 04:44:00 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I am in the throws of  tetsing dozens and dozens of video codecs to find
the one that is the most "right".

I want to decode 30 minutes of video (no sound) at 25fps (no dropped
frames) at 640 x 280... from a 10gig scsi hard drive.... decoding must
take up no more than around 30% CPU on a 2ghz processor (need the rest
for audio)

codec must have no frame differenceing for fast access to sepcific
frames... revers playback etc.

I'm using PDP .... which does yuv422 planar. ......

- mjpeg A (as encoded by transcode) chews 65% cpu
- mjpeg B (as encoded by Premiere) chews around 50% cpu
- component video (packed yuv422) chews around 30% cpu  (acceptible) but
takes up too much hard drive space
- planar 4:2:0 is good ... its the closest ..... chews 25% cpu , takes
less hard drive than component but still too much hard drive.

theora is yuck, sorenson too much cpu, divx is small, fast and
reasonable quality ....... but all these have frame differencing.

indeo 3 is poor quality but decode is very fast.... cant read indeo 4+
on linux (I think it is frame differencing anyway)

cinepak would do it, ..fast decode... but very poor quality.

.... any suggestions? ........... anyone found a mjpeg compressor that
deocdes really fast?

does anyone know of a codec that is PLANAR .... but compresses each Y U
and V plane? ..... something like that would be real fast for pdp.

etienne