[PD] recommended video codec

etienne deleflie et at lalila.net
Fri Jun 24 09:24:55 CEST 2005

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> etienne deleflie wrote:
>

>>> Tried the same tests with Gem? Any difference?
>>

>> same kind of results for Gem.
>>
>> although I encoded one video using mencoder .... forced ffmpeg mjpg
>> as the codec. Mplayer plays it back with really low cpu (4% or
>> something). Mplayer reports that it is using ffmpeg as the decoder.
>>
>> when I try to open that same file in pix_film ... I get a message
>> "ffmpeg: unsurported codec" .......wot? so pix_film is using a
>> different version of ffmpeg? so I downloaded the latest ffmpeg and
>> compiled it. No difference, pix_film still cant read it.
>>
>> I got Gem from the demudi apt tree ..... does Gem come with its own
>> version of ffmpeg statically linked inside it or something?
>

> on debian, ffmpeg (libavcodec-dev,...) is only available as static
> libraries.
> Gem will link against these.
>
> however, i think that mplayer links against its own version of ffmpeg
> (and having a look at the marillat's package description for
> mplayer-586 i also find that it depends on libavcodeccvs; probably it
> is worth to try to compile against this)

now that's really getting confusing!! ..........I thought libavcodec was
part of ffmpeg ...... (at least it is in the ffmpeg latest cvs
downloads.... and as doc'ed on the ffmpeg site).

would someone have a small MJPEG video I could download to see how much
cpu my PD/GEM/PDP set up takes to decode it? ... then at least I would
know if my problem is in the encoding or the decoding stages.

etienne