[PD] gem installation on mac os 10.3.9

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Tue Jul 12 18:36:23 CEST 2005

On Jul 12, 2005, at 11:53 AM, rene beekman wrote:

>>> more precisely a standard folder __within Application Support -
>>> so full path would be something like "/Library/Application
>>> Support/Pd/"
>>> but sounds like a good idea to me
>>>

>> ...when I first saw this, I wondered why you put this there?  I
>> don't remember that being the "new" place to put things:  I used
>> to think I kept up to date on all of the osx-specific changes, but
>> apparently somethings are missed...in any event, we used to (and I
>> still do) use "~/Library/Pd" to place externals...
>>

> see <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/
> BPFileSystem/Articles/WhereToPutFiles.html>

...thanks, I'm familiar with developer docs...these are guidelines,
not decrees, and they basically say "put them in a subfolder of
either ~/Library or /Library", or whatever make sense...actually they
indicate that the "preferred location" is inside the app bundle, but
I think we're fine as is...

> one can argue whether externals and libraries are plugins or
> support files and where they should go.

...externals are compiled as bundles (-bundle -bundle_loader /where/
is/pd), which are "plugins"...

> my choice was Application Support - but that also might be in part
> because i'm used to cycling74 putting max externals there....

...wow, I'm glad you have a choice, but your choice caused you
problems...luckily, pd allows you to continue your c74 ingrained
behavior:  just don't expect us to change pd to default to that...as
I said, the original location (at least for the last few years) has
been ~/Library/Pd:  but go ahead and do whatever you feel!

james