[PD] Piksel'05

cyrille henry cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Wed Aug 17 19:42:22 CEST 2005

Christian Klippel a écrit :
> hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch 17 August 2005 16:03 schrieb Marc Lavallée:
>
>>Le 17 Août 2005 09:44, cyrille henry a écrit :
>

> [...snip...]
>

>>Software can be modified, hardware can't. It's easier to sell and buy
>

> objection!
>
> i wouldnt say that hardware cant be modified.

this is because you have never see free hardware.
once you have the shematic of your hardware, it's easier (at least for
me) to understand how does it work than to undestand how does a software
work.

the good point of a hardware is that you can print the all shematic on a
big piece of paper. you can't wih software (how many page do you nead to
print pd code?).
you can have everything in front of you with hardware developement. not
with software.

this is a mailling list for the developement of a software, so everybody
know how to develop a software, and few know how to develop a hardware.
this mailling list does not represent everybody.

>remember the good, old c64? how
> many were sold, and from that, how many were used unmodified? almost none, i
> would say.
>
> admitted, with modern hardware it becomes harder to make modifications, but it
> is still possible. for example, on serveral occasions i modified wintv cards
> to have certain output jacks, that only higher-priced models had. all that
> was needed are readily available chips & jacks, and a calm hand to handle
> these smd beasts.
once agaian, i did not speak about hacking, but building.

> just recently i modified my dvd player to have a full set of jacks for the 5.1
> audio output (it only had stereo and one digital output). that was even
> simpler, only some cap's and the jacks were needed, plus an op-amp.
>
> or look at gfx cards.... its not long ago (or it still is) that there were
> serveral versions of the same card: with additional outputs, like video, or
> with higher speed dac's that allow for higher refresh rates and resolutions.
> it would be possible to change the dac chips, for example. or put the missing
> parts for the additional outputs on it......
>
> once in munich we got a big batch of memory cards for some exotic hardware at
> a really low price (surplus like). that was in the time when 4-mbyte simm
> modules had high prices. now we desolderes the single chips, and soldered
> them on empty simm sticks. about 80 percent of them worked flawlessy
> afterwards.....
>

>>physical goods (like food), but it's easier to share ideas, so harware
>>companies consider their drivers as being part of their hardware. They are
>>so wrong... One day, we will build our own hardware based on shared ideas
>>and software.
>

> im hoping for that. and im already working towards that.
> after all, digital hardware is much easier to design and build than analogue
> hardware.
??????
i'm an analog hardware fan, so i do not agree.
it's just a question of what YOU like to do, and what YOU know what to do.

>in fact, one could look at it (the digital part) as "pd with real
> objects".
pd with real objects is more analog electronic than digital electronic.
pd with real objects is modular analog synth made 20 or 30 years ago.
there is a lot of projets to build free pd with real objects.
(I personally have build few of them, for the one interested with free
music.)

(as this discution is highly OT, i just got further :
how many people in this list have listen to ANALOG FM synthesis. i never
  succed doing so great sound with pd or any other digital stuff.)

> its just that many people are not interrested in creating new
> hardware, for whatever reason.
siting on a chair, drinding beer, eating pizza :-)
it's a joke, but to be honest i never drink coffee becaus it's
incompatible with hardware soldering, so yes, ther are some (bad) reason
to focus on software better than hardware.

>many are afraid to handle chips, a solder
> iron, etc, because they think its too complicated, and that the parts would
> be too sensitive (i.e. that they would be easily destroyed). but its not that
> complicated and sensitive as most people think.

it depend on peoples : i konw a lot's of people who think that software
developement is harder than hardware.

> its pretty much the same as
> it was when computers became widely available. many people were afraid to
> touch them, because they thought they are too fragile. today we know better,
> and many people built their own pc's from single components.
> and whats the real difference between plugging a ram stick into your pc,
> compared to plug a chip into some pcb? to me, not much ....

anyway, to go back to the original discution : whatever the dificulty of
hardware developement, you can't say you're free if you use not-free
hardware.

cyrille