[PD] Re: [PD-announce] Pd 0.39 test 5 released

Piotr Majdak piotr at majdak.com
Mon Aug 22 09:31:10 CEST 2005

Tim Blechmann wrote:
> all apis i'm familiar with (asio, jack, portaudio) provide api functions
> that can query the driver to get the input and the output latency ...

Wow, that's great. But it seem to easy to be true :-) Do they really
provide the delay between start of playing a buffer and start of
appearing the analog signal at the output?

I use Hammerfall/Digiface with some attached D/A-Cs. Do the driver know
what's the latencies of D/A-C, especially if connected to a digital
sound card output, like mine? Or do the API just deliver the value what
can be set in settings of the Hammerfall "Buffer Size (Latency)", which,
unfortunately, is not the latency between the software layer and analog
output.

Tim, do you know whant latency do they provide?

br, Peter

--
Piotr Majdak
Institut für Schallforschung