[PD] elucidation on syncing r~'s

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Aug 25 22:27:46 CEST 2005

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Matthias Blau wrote:

> I am having trouble to reliably sync multiple receive~s. Mostly I am
> getting delays of one (sometimes two) blocksize(s) between them. This
> does not happen when I use patch cords. Miller's online book says that
> such delays might happen when a receive~ is somehow attached to objects
> that occur earlier in the "ordered list of tilde objects". Well, can
> someone tell me (computer-literate non-coder) where this information is
> accessible/maintainable and how I might get synced r~s?

That information is all before your eyes. Just follow your patch backwards
to see where the signal you are send~ing is coming from. If the object
you're sending to is _also_ a place where the signal came from (i mean any
signal contributing to what you're send~ing), then you get a
chicken-and-egg dependency. Pd then solves that problem by delaying the
sent signal so that it only has an impact at the next "instant" in the
future, that is, one block away.