[PD] regards

chun chun at goto10.org
Fri Sep 23 09:22:46 CEST 2005

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 05:30:02PM -0400, Martin Peach wrote :
> michael gardner wrote:
>
> >hello.

hi

> >i just subscribed to this list and hope it is quite active.  i
> >recently discovered Pd through my interest in Max/MSP.  unfortunately
> >i dont have the funds neccessary to really get involved with it at the
> >moment, and it looks like Pd would be a good alternative.

i also started using pd the same way. my mac was dying and no fund for the max/msp update and thought i
will give linux/pd a try. and i don't think i will go back to max/msp again;)

> >is Pd a good application for live audio performance?
>
> It's good but I find you need to work at avoiding glitches , just as
> with Max and most other computer-based realtime audio generators.

i use pd mainly for live audio performance, also thinking of starting to make visuals with it too. i
am happy using it in performances. i mean, it depends a lot on how big is the patch. but in my example, i
had a p3 laptop running pd with the realtime option and sometime with jack and never had bad glitches,
unless i was been silly with it.

> >since i know absolutely NOTHING about Pd, and dont know anyone that
> >does, where can i find some useful information in regards to getting
> >started and getting a feel for it?  i absorb complicated technical
> >information quite well, but i dont have a background in anything
> >similar.

for me, in the beginning, i started by porting my max patches into pd to get to know how pd works and
what's the difference between the 2.

> Try Miller's book on line especially this chapter "intro to pd":
> http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/techniques/latest/book-html/node13.html
> Also once you have pd installed go to the doc directory and check out
> the patches in there.

also, there is irc channels for pd related chat at

server: irc.freenode.net channel: #dataflow
server: irc.goto10.org   channel: #data

all the best:)

chun